Wangaratta Housing Project
Uniting and the Victorian Government are partnering to increase the availability of safe and secure community housing in Wangaratta.
44 new 1-3 bedroom units
Close to amenities
Quality sustainable design
A fresh start.
Increasing the availability of community housing in Wangaratta.
The need for community housing in Wangaratta is greater than ever as people struggle to keep a roof over their head because of increasing rent and home ownership out of reach for many.
This redevelopment of an existing low-cost housing site on Templeton Street will replace ageing buildings, which are no longer fit for purpose, with a new high quality architecturally designed building incorporating 44 units.
Contributing to community.
The new building will provide much needed low-cost housing and integrate with the local area through an architectural design which reflects local character and heritage.
- One-, two- and three-bedroom units which will appeal to a diverse range of people including singles, families and people living with disability.
- Proximity to key amenities including the city centre, public transport, shops and parks.
- Sustainable design with a building four-star green star rating and a NatTHERS (Energy efficiency rating) rating of seven.
- Attractive modern design by award-winning Jackson Clements Burrows Architects (JCB), which integrates with the local environment and reflects the character and heritage of surrounding buildings. For example, textured facades and colours to reference nearby homes and businesses.
- Significant economic and social benefits including construction jobs, new community housing and state investment in Wangaratta through the Victorian Government’s Big Housing Build initiative.
Following community consultation, planning approval was granted late 2022. Preparations are now underway to redevelop the Templeton Street site, with construction set to begin in the first half of 2023.
This project is being funded by Homes Victoria as part of the Victorian Government’s $5.3 billion Big Housing Build, delivered in partnership with Uniting Victoria and Tasmania.